We intended to install a French Door, but once we got the walls opened up, we figured it would be much easier to use the existing doorway for a standard width single door. We could skip cutting into the foundation this way, and also preserve more wall space in our new small-ish bedroom. We found a $30 door on craigslist that fit the space. Beyond needing new paint, it will suit our needs just fine. It is quite lovely to have a door to the back yard from the basement now.
(side note: This is still an in-process photo- we still
need to patch the siding and paint the trim.)
With the door installed, Chad started on the windows, which we acquired as part of a fourteen-window package through a major (as in deal-of-the-century) score on Craigslist. They are double paned, low-E vinyl Eurocraft windows, manufactured in 2007 and still under warranty. They came out of a house in Madison Park that had all of its windows replaced, but then was sold to a new owner, who tore the house down. We paid $600 for all fourteen windows, which officially qualifies as the best Craigslist deal for this entire house project.
We came across the windows early enough in the project that we were able to design our window spaces around them, which worked much better than trying to piecemeal individual windows together from various sources. Here are some pictures of the side window going in:
Chad measuring the opening (cool old green siding under there!)
Window held in place with shims, Chad grinding out a bit of the siding for the trim.
And the final product (although we still need to paint the trim of course).
Lex, as always, kept a close watch.
This fire burned for a good 10 hours and we only got part way through our scrap wood stack. We will definitely have more bonfires in the future- it's such an enjoyable way to take the chill off a brisk afternoon!